Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

International curriculum and fees

Hi, we are British citizens staying in India. My son is interested in attending a UK university. We were informed that following IB curriculum gives better chance of selection in the UK. Is it true?
Does he need to pay home or international fee, if he attends an university in the UK?
Answered by Cicely Oliver

Universities generally view A levels and the IB equally. Research a few possibly courses/universities and get in touch with the universities direct – they will be able to advise specific to your circumstances and your son's choice of subject area.

You can search for courses here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/search and on the UCAS website.

At present, for Student Finance England, the student should be normally resident in England, and have lived in country for a minimum of three years. You can find the information here:


You will find links to student finance for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales at the foot of this page:


Again, individual universities will be able to advise.

Best wishes.

Similar questions