Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

UK citizen in Ireland

I was born in London and and lived there for 14 years, and then in 2012 I moved to Ireland. I would like to move back to London independently in 2017 and study to become a Primary School Teacher. Is it possible for me to receive maintenance loans along with tuition fees loan?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Aoife,

If you've lived in the EU for the last three years you will probably be classed as a EU student for fees and therefore not eligible for maintenance loans from the UK Government.

Contact SFE at:


You can also find more information in our International section on the website, from EU students coming to study in the UK, to fees and finances for non-UK students:


Hope you can find what you're looking for,


Similar questions