Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

British citizen living outside UK, am I eligible for home fees?

Am I eligible for home fees? I lived outside the UK for 8 years, but I have always wanted to study in England. I am a British citizen who is considering working in Germany for 3 years, will I then be eligible for home fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Alexandra,

Residence is more important than citizenship for fees classification. On the current rules, if you reside in Germany for the three years prior to starting university you will be classed as a EU student for fees and funding. This means you will be eligible for a tuition fees loan from the UK Government but not for a maintenance loan. EU tuition fees are currently the same as Home fees.


Hope this helps!


Similar questions