Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a British citizen living outside the UK

My daughter is a 17 year old currently doing her A Levels in Nairobi, Kenya. We have left the UK in 2013 when she was in year 9, and she has been studying the British syllabus in Kenya. She is supposed to apply for university this year, and we were wondering whether the 3 year residence rule about fees would still be the same in her case since she has only been gone for 3 years. Thank you.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Kadra,

She will be classed as an International student if she has been living outside the UK for at least three years before starting university.

The only possibility of her being classed as a Home student is if she moved abroad unavoidably for a temporary period because of a parent's job.

Residence is generally more important than citizenship.

Look at:


Hope this helps!


Similar questions