Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

British citizen, New Zealand permanent resident, prerequisites

Basically, I'm just curious about how going to University in England would work for me. I'm a British citizen, but I am a permanent resident in New Zealand. I've done all my schooling in New Zealand and have almost gotten University entrance in New Zealand. If I decided to study in England, would I be considered an international student? Also, what kind of prerequisites will I need to be able to go to University in England?
Answered by Alison Patterson
You will be classed as international for fees purposes.
A useful website is the UKCISA site at

To apply for admission to a UK university you will have to apply online through UCAS at www.ucas.com

As well as listing all your academic qualifications, you will have to write a Personal Statement and someone - usually a teacher - will have to supply and academic reference.

It is important that you know before applying that you meet the entry requirements for a course. Universities are familiar with international qualifications and their websites should help you. If in doubt contact them direct.

There is an organisation which, for a fee, will calculate the equivalence of your qualifications. NARIC can be found at:

I hope this helps.
Good luck

Similar questions