Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Entry requirements for Medicine

We are British nationals currently residing in India. Our daughter did her secondary education here, and for her undergraduate degree, would she need to do IETLS for getting into a course in the UK? And would she be considered as Home student or International student?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Satheesh,

If she has been living out side the UK for the last three years or more, she may be considered an International student for fees and funding. Residence is more relevant than citizenship as I believe it is a question of where the family taxes have been paid.

Look at the UKCISA website:


For entry to Medicine courses, she should look at the entry requirements for each course. Please go to:


Click on each course and then click on entry requirements.

Your daughter is likely to need IELTS and she will also need to sit the UKCAT or the BMAT.

Application is through UCAS at www.ucas.com

She should also read the information on university websites.

Hope this helps!


Similar questions