Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Two good grades & one poor

I'm pretty sure that I have done well in two of my A level exams, but messed up on the 3rd (which I need an A for). Should I take a gap year and resit the units I messed up, or apply for different courses?
Answered by Alison Patterson

Wait for your results. If your CF and CI universities don't accept you, you can go into Clearing. Check out what's available where. You might like the look of a different course. Clearing offers a massive choice. Look at:

If you want, you can withdraw from UCAS this year, put in a new application in the autumn for 2017 entry and plan to resit the A level that you may have under-performed in.

You can contact universities for advice. As a general rule, we suggest that you do not apply twice to the same university for the same course.

Now is a good time to think about your options but don't do anything until you have received your results. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Good luck,


Similar questions