Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees and finance status for a UK national living abroad

Hello, my son (who is 12 years old) and I are British nationals living in Dubai for the past 12 years, and we are thinking of moving to the UK now, for him to complete his sixth form education. So he would have lived for about 5 years before he started university so would his status be as a home student or as an overseas student?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi John,

If he is British, has lived with family in the UK for the three years prior to starting university I think he should be classed as a home student for fees. Look at:




For more information, contact Student Finance England at:



Similar questions