Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Overseas British national wanting to study a PhD in the UK

I am a UK citizen, and I have worked and studied in the UK for 11 years before I moved abroad a year and a half ago. I now want to move back to the UK permanently and study towards a PHD. I am worried that I might be charged as a foreign student. What is the criteria? Do I need to first move back to the UK and work for a few years before applying? Thanks so much.
Answered by Alison Patterson

If you plan to study for a PhD you should first identify a university/subject/supervisor. You should then ask about funding and fees. Many funded opportunities are open to UK nationals.

You need to do some careful research. Look at:




Read the information on university websites.

Good luck.


Similar questions