Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for UK citizen living in the USA

Could you please tell me what the university fees would be if my son studied back in Scotland after having completed high school here in Texas?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Mary,

He would likely be assessed as an international student as he has lived outside the UK for more than three years prior to starting university.

Residence is more important than citizenship (I think it is to do with where the family taxes are paid).

Look at:




Actual course fees vary so you would need to look up the international fee for the course your son wants to apply for. This information is published on university websites.

Also, look at a Course Chooser:


Application for undergraduate degree courses is online through UCAS at www.ucas.com.

Hope this helps!


Similar questions