Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Australian with a UK passport, living and working in UK.

My son is living and working in the UK. He is an Australian citizen with an English passport. He would like to study an undergraduate degree in the UK. Will he be considered as a home student? How does he apply? He started university in Australia, in Sports Management at Victoria University, Melbourne, but deferred after one semester to go live in London. Can he use this as a way to apply?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Rachael,

He must apply online through UCAS at www.ucas.com. Applications for 2017 entry open next month.

His UCAS application should show all his educational qualifications and history to date including a reference to his admission to Victoria University, Melbourne.

If he has lived outside the UK for three years or more before starting university he is likely to be classed as an international student. Residence is more relevant than citizenship. Look at:




I hope this helps.


Similar questions