Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Am I classified as a home student?

I am a UK national and have been living in Pakistan all my life. My mum, also a UK national, lived in London until she was 17 and moved to Pakistan. Since she left the UK , she has been paying taxes in the UK. My family and I have never lived in the UK.
Am I classified as a home student or an international student?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Anam,

You will be classed as an international student for fees and finance because residence is more important than citizenship. (It is a question of where family taxes have been paid, I guess.)

Look at:




To qualify for Home fees, you should have lived in the UK for at least three years immediately prior to starting university.

Hope this helps,


Similar questions