Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

English resident applying to Scottish university

My 15 year old son has lived in England with his mum since the age of 5. Prior to that he was born in Scotland and lived with me till the age of 5. Over the last ten years I have brought him back to Scotland every 2nd weekend and all half term and summer breaks. Would he be eligible for uni fees to be paid should he wish to go to uni in Scotland in the future?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Jaimie,

If he has been a resident in England for the three years prior to starting university, he would normally be classed as a RUK student by Scottish universities. This means that he would be charged the higher RUK fee (in line with fees for English universities) to study in Scotland. He would apply to Student Finance England for student loans, not SAAS.

I think you could contact SAAS to discuss the particulars of your son's circumstances. Use the contact details at:


and look at:




Good luck.


Similar questions