Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

I've changed my mind and want a gap year

I have a confirmed place at my first choice uni, but now I want a gap year and to reapply next year for a different course.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Cathy,

You must phone the university to ask them if you can change to a deferred offer of a place. The university may not be willing to do this, and it is their choice. Try to speak to someone asap.

Good luck,


Similar questions