Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Mature student having to defer for a year

I have registered for my second year, however I have injured my knee and will require surgery which will take a 6-8 weeks recovery time. As I am meant to be on my first 70-day placement, my university are telling me I will have to defer for a year. I have already received one payment from student finance and I'm wanting to know what will happen to what I've been paid and what will happen to future payments? Please help as I'm very concerned that me and my family may not be able to manage without the student finance I receive.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Justin,

You should contact Student Finance England (or Wales, Scotland, or N. Ireland, depending on your funding body).

Contact at:


If eligible, you may be able to go on to benefits. We are not experts in this area but you may obtain advice and guidance from the hospital.

Look at:




I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.


Similar questions