Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Canadian student with parent in the UK

I am a Canadian looking into going to school in England. If my dad lives and works in England, do I still have to pay the international fees or can I put my residence under his address?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Kate,

Strictly speaking, your address is in Canada but it may be possible to make a case based on your father's residence. Please look at:


You should also check with SFE (for England) or SAAS (for Scotland):



In the end, it is the university which decides your fees status, but they won't make any predictions until they have received an application from you and made an offer on academic grounds. You will then need to make a case for Home fees status and submit supporting evidence. Decisions are made on a case by case basis with reference to guidelines and case law.

Hope this helps,


Similar questions