Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Second degree and student finance

Hi, I'm about to start my second degree (medicine) and I was wondering would I be entitled to any student fee help? My first degree fees were NHS funded.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Lorelle,

Funding for accelerated (graduate entry) courses in Medicine is stated at:




"Graduate-entry students starting an accelerated 4-year course between September
2016 and 1 August 2017 will have to self-fund the first £3,465 of their tuition fees in the first year. In the subsequent years of their course, the NHS Bursary scheme will pay £3,465 towards their tuition fees. In all years of the graduate programme, a loan of up to £5,535 will be available to students from Student Finance England to cover the difference between £3,465 and the tuition charges of their universities, to a maximum charge of £9,000."

Please check with universities to make sure you understand the funding arrangements available for the course you have chosen.

Use a Course Chooser:


Best of luck,


Similar questions