Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for child of a British Citizen

My mom is Scottish and therefore a British Citizen. Years ago we heard that if I wished to study abroad in the UK i would get free tuition. I am looking at applying for my masters and wish to figure out if as a descendant of her I get free tuition or not.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Sarah,

You will be assessed as an international student most likely. Residence is more relevant than citizenship.

Please check the SAAS website:


The funding for postgraduate study is not 100% for Scottish students (about £3,400 in tuition fee loans), so as an international student you would be missing entitlement to tuition fee loans of about £3,400.

Also look at:




Similar questions