Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for an Irish citizen living abroad

My daughter is an Irish citizen living in South Africa, but wanting to study in the UK. Will she qualify for any scholarship or subsidy?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Andrew,

When was she last resident in Ireland?

Generally, residence is more relevant than citizenship for fees status and UK Government funding.

Please look at the UKCISA website:


You could contact the EU desk of Student Finance England:


She will apply for a place on a course in the UK through UCAS at www.ucas.com.
It is the university that makes the decision on fees status, based on the information you supply, case law and the general guidelines.

Scholarships are listed on university websites. UK Government Tuition fee loans and Maintenance loans (for living costs) are available only for eligible residents. Look at:



I hope this helps!


Similar questions