Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a British national who never lived in the UK

I am going to the UK to study next year, I have a British passport, both my parents are British but I have never lived there. My mum has lived there for the past 3 years and both my sisters were born there but I was not born in the UK. Both my sisters were eligible for home status and home fees 5 years ago. Will I be eligible for home fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Emma,

I think it would be worth contacting SFE:


The rules are at:


However, universities make the decision on an individual, case by case basis. They will only make the decision after an application has been received and the offer of a place has been made on academic grounds.

In general, residence is more important than citizenship. You need to have been living in the UK for the three years prior to starting university.

I hope this helps.


Similar questions