Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Returning to the UK

We are moving back after five years in Australia, and working on a Long Stay Business visa, which is temporary. We are looking to settle in Stirling. My daughter is a 1st year student and would need to transfer to a university in Scotland. Can she be classed as a home student when we get back as we were only in Australia on a temporary visa?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Andrew,

You should contact SAAS:


Generally, you should have been living in the UK for the three years prior to starting university to qualify for homes fees status but temporary, unavoidable absence from the country can be considered as an exception to the rules.

Best of luck,


Similar questions