Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a British in Malaysia

I am British studying my A levels in Malaysia, but am a permanent resident of the EU (Cyprus). Which fee category will I be eligible for?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Hannah,

You could perhaps contact SFE for some preliminary guidance:


Note that if you are applying to Scotland or Northern Ireland or Wales, the rules will vary a little.

Fees status is generally determined on a case by case basis by universities after an application has been received and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made by the university.

The UKCISA site is helpful at:


If your family home is Cyprus and you are in Malaysia solely for the purpose of education, it may be that you are assessed as EU for fees purposes, but without all the information, it's not possible for me to say.

Hope this is useful!


Similar questions