Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for an English student residing in Wales and applying to a Welsh university


I am British but have lived in Wales for 8 years. I want to know if my daughter is going to be charged home (Welsh) fees when she starts university in Wales, or the increased fee because she is British. Can she get support in loans or grants?

Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Annie,

Residence is more important than citizenship when it comes to student finance.

If she has lived in Wales for 8 years, your daughter will apply for funding from Student Finance Wales and should be entitled to the full support offered. Check out the following links for some more information:



Best of luck to your daughter!


Similar questions