Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

UK student living in USA and returning to UK for university


My family is moving to the USA after my daughter completes her GCSEs in the UK, and she will be attending an American school prior to returning to the UK to go to university. Currently she is predicted all A and A* in her GCSE subjects. I understand that she would have to graduate the USA diploma and sit SATs to attend university and meet USA requirements.

Presently she wishes to undertake an undergraduate degree in History. Could you please advise what she would need to do to meet entry requirements, whether this is possible and whether she would be classed as an international or home student having lived in UK all her life except for two years?

Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Michelle,

UK universities will generally list entry requirements from students with US educational qualifications. As well as taking the SAT or ACT, she should take Advanced Placement (AP) exams as UK universities tend to compare these with A2 exams.

The rules on UK Government student funding and fees status are fairly straightforward: to qualify for Homes fees and for financial support for the UK Government, you need to have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university.

Look at:



There are, however, some exceptions to the rules. If your daughter has been moved to the US unavoidably and for a temporary period because of a parent's employment, this may be deemed as remaining resident in the UK for the temporary period and could therefore make her eligible for Home fees.

For more clarification, you could contact Student Finance England:

However, it's important to remember that it is the university that decides on fees status based on the guidelines and supporting information you provide (this determination will not take place until after the offer of a place on academic grounds has first been made).

I hope this helps! Best of luck to your daughter.


Similar questions