Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Can I get a loan if I've been abroad for two years?

I'm doing my GCSEs in the UK and will be doing my A levels in Pakistan, which will take two years. As I am a British national, I would like to know if I will be able to get a student loan for university if I join after living outside the UK for two years?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Eman,

It is up to each university to determine your fees status. As a general rule, you should have been a resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university in order to qualify for Home fees and funding.

You could contact SFE:


Look at:


Best of luck,

Similar questions