Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

UK Citizen born and raised in Turkey. Father British who moved to Turkey 20 years ago. Grandparents in UK

I am a British citizen and grew up in the UK, I attended British Universities (Univ of Swansea BSc, Univ of East Anglia PhD and Institute of Education PGCE). I have been teaching overseas for 20 years. My daughter was born and raised in Turkey and is a British Citizen. She will be applying to UK universities - what category of fee is she under?

Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Simon,

Residence is the main criterion regarding fees and funding (it's to do with where the family taxes have been paid).

In general, you should have been living in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university in order to qualify for Home fees and UK Government funding. Please look at:

Universities make the final decisions about fee status after an application has been received through UCAS and the offer of a place has been made on academic grounds.

For more information, look at the UKCISA website:

I hope this helps. Best of luck to your daughter with her application!


Similar questions