Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for french student returning to UK for university

My french son, with British dad, is coming back to the UK (our home is there) after 5 years in Asia to study. He is due to start in September 2019 at university. We will use our UK home for application (as we will all be moving back in July 2019) but his last school will be in Asia, which is the school used for application. Will he have to pay home or international fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Clarisse,

Residence is the main criterion regarding fees and funding. It's to do with where the family taxes have been paid.

In general, you should have been living in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university in order to qualify for Home fees and UK Government funding. Please look at:


Universities make the final decisions about fee status after an application has been received through UCAS and the offer of a place has been made on academic grounds.

If he was in Asia temporarily and unavoidably because of a parent's employment and his main home is in the UK, an exception to the rule may be made and universities might accept this. It will be for you to make the case for home fees and for the universities to make a determination.

For more information, look at the UKCISA website:




I hope this helps!

Similar questions