Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Should we move three years before starting uni?

I am a British citizen currently residing in Nigeria. I intend for my child to study in a UK university. If I move to the UK three years prior to the start date of my child's university education, will my child qualify for home fees? Also, must my child move to the UK with me since he is still doing his secondary education outside of the UK?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Chidubem,

Residence is more important than citizenship and residence for the sole purpose of education does not count. But I think it might be possible for your son to make a case for Home fees if the family is resident in the UK for the three years prior to starting university.

Look at:

It is the universities that decide fees status based on case law, national guidelines and the information you supply to them.

Hope this helps,

Similar questions