Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Advice about the student fee status for residents

We are coming to the UK in April 2017 on a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa. This is given three years initially and extended after.
I want to know...
1) When I apply for UK universities in Sept 2017, at this visa status, will I be eligible for home student fees?
2) Currently I am studying a second year in the University of Waterloo in Canada. How do I apply for university admission here? Can I continue from second year?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Ruben

It is the decision of a university whether you can transfer or whether you need to apply for first year entry (beginning a new degree course).

You need to contact a few universities. Please note that in the UK your application is to a degree course and most courses are lock-step. For this reason you are likely to need to start at the beginning. Do you have a major currently?

The rules for fees status place emphasis on residence and it is generally the case that you should have been living in the UK for the three years prior to starting university to qualify for Home fees.

Please look at:

Please also note the the funding arrangements are slightly different for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. For England, contact SFE at:

For more information on fees and finance, see here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

Good luck.

Similar questions