Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Transferring to a UK university

I am currently attending the first year of an undergraduate course in my home town, sadly it has so far failed to meet my expectations. I am planning on applying for a different course at a different university abroad, specifically in the UK, and was wondering how this would affect the way in which I would be expected to apply. Would I be expected to provide a reference from a former teacher or a teacher at my university, even though I have only been attending it for a few months? Am I expected to contact my university of choice before hand, like with students who transfer?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Adrian,

It is unlikely that you will be able to transfer to a UK university course. Most degree courses are lock-step and on the whole you need to start at the beginning.

You should apply through UCAS at www.ucas.com

Look at:

Use a Course Chooser to find a course:

In your application, you will need to explain your short time at university and if you can get a reference from a university teacher, that will be fine. But a school teacher will also be OK as long as you refer to your time at university in your Personal Statement and explain why you withdrew from the course.

Read the information on university websites for full course descriptions.

Good luck!

Similar questions