Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

UK passport holder fees

My son has dual UK/US citizenship. He would like to study in the UK. He has had three years in a UK school and currently goes to school in the US. We are a military family. Does he qualify for home tuition?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Mel,

You must apply through UCAS. Look at:

Choose your course using a Course chooser:

Check that you meet entry requirements. If you cannot find all the information online please contact the university direct.

As far as fee status is concerned, residence is generally more important than citizenship and the general rule is that you should have resided in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university. For more information, look at the UKCISA site at:

However, as the dependent of a parent in the military it may be possible to demonstrate that your ordinary residence is in the UK. This would be a matter between you and the university as it is the university which will decide on fee status.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions