Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Eligibility for home fees for Hong Kong British National finishing a three year degree in the UK


I'm a British National born in Hong Kong (granted by way of colonial benefits). I'm currently finishing a three-year degree in Newcastle University under international student status, and I'm interested in a Master's degree in the same university. I travelled back to Hong Kong every summer during the 3 years.

Would I be eligible for the home fee if I apply straight away after completing my bachelor degree?

Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Man,

You will need to check with universities as they make the decisions.

Generally, residence for education (including HE) does not constitute ordinary residence. Residence takes precedence over citizenship. However, as you are a UK citizen, residence during your degree course in the UK may be acceptable in this case.

Best of luck with everything.


Similar questions