Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Living in the UK for 3 years

I have a son born in the UK, but currently living in New Zealand. He wants to apply for to either Oxford or Cambridge universities. We can't afford international fees. If we return for A level years and then had a year out to make up the 3 year residency rule would we be eligible for Home fees? Or would it be safer to do GCSE and A levels in the UK also?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Elizabeth,

Before taking such major decisions you should check whether your son will qualify for Home fees if you stay in NZ.

How long has your son been living in NZ? Is the family there on a permanent basis or temporary?

You should also be aware that you can't guarantee that your son will succeed in getting an offer from Oxford or Cambridge universities.

If you come to the UK to cover the three year residency rule, it's probably a question of when is the best time to move the family and specifically your son. Settling can be an issue.

I think you should contact SFE and find out if they can give you some advice. It is difficult for me to be definitive because decisions are made on a case by case basis by universities with all the evidence provided by you.

If you are all UK citizens and spend three years in the UK, I think it is likely that your son would qualify for Home fees. But please contact SFE:

Take a look at the eligibility section on our Fees pages: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

Best of luck!

Similar questions