Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for students with expat parents

We moved abroad in order to continue to afford UK boarding school fees. So as parents we are resident in the Middle East and the children are in the UK at boarding school but normally join us during the holidays. We retain a home in the UK and plan to return as soon as schooling is done. Will we be liable for international or home tuition fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Kate,

Universities decide on the fee status of each applicant.

Generally, the rule is that you should have been living in the UK for the three years prior to starting university (attending boarding school does not count as residence usually).

It is difficult for me to say whether your daughter would be assessed as liable for Home or international fees on the basis of the information you have provided.

Look at the eligibility section on our Fees pages: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

You could contact SFE:

Hope this helps,

Similar questions