Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

What happens if parents move abroad?

Me and my partner are going to be living abroad, and we are on benefits. My daughter wants to go to university, and at the moment she will be entitled to full tuition living expenses. What will happen if we go abroad? At the moment we are all in the UK. We will be going to live outside EU. Our daughter wants to go to stay in the UK for university.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Wendy,

How many years is it before your daughter will go to university? Will your daughter be travelling with you?

If your daughter travels abroad for more than a year or two she will be taking a temporary break in residence. How this is treated will depend in part on where she travels.

If she remains in EEA countries there is no issue as she has the right to roam and her residence is unaffected.

If she travels outside the EEA, she will need to provide documentary evidence to Student Finance England (or the relevant funding body in Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland) and/or the universities she eventually applies to.

To demonstrate that it was a temporary break in residence and no more, you will have to produce, for example: temporary visas, temporary work permit/contracts, evidence of ticket receipts (return air fares)and accommodation receipts.
The more evidence you can produce, the easier it will be to make the case for UK Government funding and Home fees status.

The decision will be made using the evidence produced by the family. Every case is treated individually.

Look at our content on eligibility for fees:www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

You could also contact Student Finance England:

There are no grants for living costs now; only loans from the Government.

Best of luck,

Similar questions