Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for British student moving temporarily abroad

My son is a British and Irish national, he was born in Northern Ireland and has lived there for 14 years.
His father and I are planning to work in a gulf country temporarily for a few years. My son is now in year 10. We will move next year, so he will take his GCSE and A level abroad.
He wants then to apply for uni in UK, will he be treated as home or international student as regards to fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Ola,

Residence is more relevant to fees status than citizenship. It is to do with where the family taxes are paid.

Look at our eligibility information on the fees section: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

The general rule is that you should have been living in the UK for the three years prior to starting university to qualify for home fees.

Look at:





In the end, the university makes the decision based on the rules and the information supplied by you.

Hope this helps,

Similar questions