Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Eligible for Home fees?

My child received conditional offers from UK universities but has been told he is an international student for fees. We stayed in the UK (tax payer 2011-2014 and are in EU (paying taxes since 2014). What should the fees status for my child be, EU/Home or international? Whom should I approach to make a case other than the universities?
Answered by Alison Patterson

You should contact the university to say you believe they have wrongly assessed your child to be international fees. They should send you forms to fill out and you should give them as much information as possible. You must be truthful and accurate. You could still be assessed as International for fees. You haven't given me very much information.

The rule about Home fees status is that you should be resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university.

Look at:






You could contact SFE:

It might be worth starting with the phone number for EU students.

Good luck.

Similar questions