Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Finance for a English citizen living in New Zealand applying to English University


I am 17 and live in New Zealand. I have a Dual Passport for NZ and the UK and I wish to apply to an English University.

I was wondering whether I would still be able to apply for a student loan or allowance to go to an English University even though I live in New Zealand. I have lived in England for periods of up to 6 months while growing up but never permanently.

Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Jules,

I think you are likely to be assessed as an international student for fees.

The UK Government will not then be able to help you with student loans.

Look at:


Also look at the UKCISA website:


Generally, universities decide on your fees status after the offer of a place has been made on academic grounds.

Best of luck with your application!


Similar questions