Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Student finance distaster

I started a postgraduate degree in September 2016. I am Welsh, completed my undergrad in Wales and started my postgrad at an English University.
I was initially told by student finance England that I was eligible for the new postgraduate loan that was being offered to English students, as I would be living in England when starting my studies.
The week after starting my course I still had not heard back from them regarding my loan. I called them and found out that they had given me the wrong information (along with a handful of other Welsh students which has been in the press) and I would not be eligible for the loan.
This meant that I had to drop out of my postgrad as I could not possibly fund the course without a loan.
I am now being chased by the university for the first terms fees, £1750.
This is a really horrible situation for me as I haven't got that sort of money, and don't really see why I should have to pay after I was misinformed (I completely understand this is not the university's fault, but I have informed them of the situation upon my termination). Any advice as to what I should do?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Tia,

We have seen these reports:

We think there may be a pretty strong case for damages against the SLC for costs incurred as a result of wrong advice (assuming you have something in writing).

It may be worth getting together with the others and talking to a solicitor, perhaps.

Meanwhile ask the university not to press for immediate payment while the situation is resolved.

Also consider taking it to the OIA:


and write to your MP in Wales.

Contact local students unions for help.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions