Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

British child but non-UK resident

My British-born daughter wants to study at a UK University. She will not study A levels or do an IB - can she still apply to a UK University? Will it limit her choices/chances?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi David,

The exams your daughter is working towards at school should not be a problem to UK universities as they are familiar with most international qualifications. However, she must meet the minimum entry requirements in whatever exams she is taking to be able to apply for university admission. You can find the information on most websites.

Choose a course using a Course chooser:

Look for country-specific information. For example:

She must apply through UCAS. Look at:

Check that she meets entry requirements. If you cannot find all the information online please contact the university direct.

Please be aware that your daughter may be assessed as "international" for fees purposes. The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university. (Residence is more important than citizenship. It is to do with where the family taxes have been paid.)
Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made through UCAS and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

I hope this helps!

Similar questions