Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Expat children and fees

I am British with 3 children. We have lived in Malaysia for 6 years. My eldest is 12. I read that we need to be resident in the UK for 3 years prior to a course commencing. Is this the same for A'levels/Level 3 courses as well as degrees? And, is it true that having a fully resident grandparent in the UK means that the child is eligible for Home fee status regardless of where they live?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Hannah,

You need to be resident in the UK for three years prior to starting university in order to qualify for Home fees (rather than international fees, which are a little higher).

Residence is the governing criterion relating to fee status. Resident grandparents will not help unless the children are residing with their grandparents.

It is up to universities to determine fee status. They do this after an application has been received through UCAS and an offer has been made on academic grounds. The onus is on the applicant to make a case for Home fees status. Universities will ask for much information before making their decision with reference to the guidelines and case law.

If your children were born and have lived in the UK for some time you may have a case. You may also have a case if you are living abroad for a temporary period and unavoidable because of employment transfers.

Look at:





I hope this helps,

Similar questions