Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Student finance after working holiday

My son is currently on a working holiday visa in NZ. He did a 3 month business internship and has had a couple of part time jobs since. His year visa runs out on 6th April and he is due to go home. He has applied and been accepted at a few universities and today he was about to complete his student finance application and it says that he has to have been living in the UK for 3 years prior to study. Can you please advise as he will be devastated if he can't go to university part of the reason he went was to get business experience.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Caroline,

If he only went for a temporary period there is no issue about his residence. He will be considered to be resident in the UK and therefore eligible for Home fees, student finance etc. He should hang on to his flight tickets, visa documentation in case he needs evidence.

Read more about Fees & Finance here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

He can also confirm with SFE:

Best of luck to him,

Similar questions