Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

How to defer university place after receiving offers?

My son has received 5 offers for university places to study general engineering in Sept 2014. He now has to accept a firm choice (Uni of Liverpool) and insurance choice (Uni of Leicester) by 7th May. Once he has done this how easy is it to defer the place for one year if he gets the grades?

If he changes his mind about studying engineering in that gap year can he withdraw from his deferred commitment to the engineering place at Liverpool and reapply for other courses without incurring any financial or other penalties?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Your son can complete the UCAS process by confirming his CF and CI universities. At results time and assuming he meets the conditions of one of his offers, he can talk to the university about deferring. The university is likely to be sympathetic and release him from the contract. The same is also true if he asks to withdraw before he takes up his place. Universities do not want students that don't want to be there.

He could then re-apply if he decides to take up another course but will have to explain his first UCAS application and the reasons for his change of mind when making a second UCAS application. This should not be a problem if he can demonstrate that deferral proved to be the right decision.

Taking a year out from education can often prove a worthwhile experience:

Similar questions