Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fee for a UK citizen who has been studying in the US for previous 10 years

My son (16 years old) is a UK citizen but has lived and been educated in the US for the previous 10 years before he expects to start university. I am a UK citizen and taxpayer who has lived in UK for last 13 years. Is my son eligible for "local" fees in the UK?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Chris,

I think you are in a grey area and I cannot give a definitive answer. In the end, the universities will decide. It sounds as though your son does not live with you.

Take a look at: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

I advise you to contact SFE (if you're living in England) or SAAS (if you're living in Scotland) as they may be able to give an indication of your son's position re Home fees. Contact:

As a general rule you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for Home fees.
Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

You must apply through UCAS. Look at:

Choose your course using a Course chooser:

Check that you meet entry requirements. If you cannot find all the information online please contact the university direct.

Best of luck to you,

Similar questions