Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Change of nationality

I was forced to take a gap year after my second year due to funding difficulties. Now my nationality has changed to British. Do I now qualify for student finance? I have been in the UK for 9 years and am 43 years old.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Charity,

You should contact SFE (if you live in England). For Scotland it is SAAS:




If you are returning to the university where you suspended your studies to take a gap year, you should remain in contact with them. In the end, it is the university that decides your fee status.

Please check the UKCISA website. Look at "Becoming ‘home’ after the course has started":

I think you should qualify for student finance.

Good luck,

Similar questions