Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Finance for part-time courses in the UK

I've been accepted to start Leicester university, I will be doing foundation degree in drugs and alcohol counseling and treatment, studying on a part-time basis. I'm a mature student aged 32, a single mum and on a limited low income. I have applied for student finance in England to help with fees but I need to no what other help I can get please?

Answered by Alison Patterson
Student Finance England will give you a loan to pay the whole of your tuition fees. They should also assess you for a grant and a maintenance loan to help with your living costs, if you have applied online at:

The University of Leicester has a range of bursaries and scholarships

Providing you have applied for Government loans and grants through Student Finance England, you should not need to apply for University of Leicester support; it should be automatically assessed. But you might want to have a word with them.

Government also offers additional help
You may qualify for the Childcare Grant and/or the Parents' Learning Allowance

Also investigate the Access to Learning Fund

Similar questions