Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

British citizen with Japanese high school qualifications

My son will graduate from Japanese high school with Japanese qualifications. Can he apply to UK universities as a British resident or will they charge international student rates?
Hi Dale,

Residency is usually more important than citizenship - your son will need to have lived in the UK for the three years prior to starting his university course.

You can read more here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

The UKCISA website is also useful:

It is always worth speaking to the universities your son is interested in, however. The university will make the final decision based on information supplied by you, but it is not likely to make a determination before an application has been received through UCAS and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

Hope this helps!


Similar questions