Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Curious about British universities

Hi. I've been considering the possibility of studying abroad lately, and Great Britain came to mind. But I was thinking. I'm a former IB student who graduated with only a certificate and is interested in studying linguistics. I did get a 7 in English B Higher Level and I also have grades of completed courses in German and Japanese. But I wonder, will any university in Great Britain accept a foreign student with only a certificate?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Arabella,

You need to check entry requirements and if necessary contact universities direct.

First, you need to choose a course of study. Use a course Chooser:

For Linguistics, look at:



Click on individual courses to find out more about course content and entry requirements. You will also find contact details.

You must apply through UCAS. Look at:

You should also refer to the information on university websites.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions