Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees english person returning from USA

My son aged 18 has been in the USA since he was 13. He is returning to England and wishes to start university in September 2018. Please can you let me know the funding options as it appears from research I have done that he would need to be resident here for 3 years prior to commencing. He is UK national. Thank you for your help
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Steve,

Residence is more relevant than citizenship in determining fee status. (It is to do with where the family's taxes have been paid.)

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for Home fees.

Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made. He may be assessed as international tuition fees and would probably not be eligible for UK Government financial support.

We have some more information on eligibility for fees and funding here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

Application is through UCAS. Look at:

Choose a course using a Course chooser:

Check that your son meets entry requirements. If you cannot find all the information online please contact the university direct. University websites give the entry requirements for applicants with international qualifications. For example:

I hope this helps.

Similar questions