Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for UK citizen returning from abroad

We are British citizens living abroad. I am planning to return to live in UK but my son will complete his schooling abroad. Will he be eligible for home fees if I have been in UK and if he has been returning for holidays?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Jennifer,

It's at the discretion of universities. Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for home fees.

Look at:




Also look at the UKCISA website:


You could contact SFE for their advice.
Was your son born in the UK? What age is he now? If you have been resident in the UK and paying taxes for three years or more, he may qualify for home fees upon starting university. Generally, boarding school is not considered as a place of residence.


Hope this helps,

Similar questions